Business Resources

Business Resources

County of San Mateo

County Clerk, Hall of Justice & Records
555 County Center
Redwood City, CA 94063 (650) 363-4712
A fictitious business name statement must be filed by anyone operating a California business under a name other than his own. The business owner must file then publish the business name in a newspaper and file proof with the county. To determine if someone else is already using a business name, phone the Secretary of State’s office of Corporate Status, (916) 654-7960.

For any business that handles food, a permit from the office of Environmental Health in Redwood City (650-363-4304) must be obtained. Following the acquisition of business property, a business owner will automatically receive a bill for any real property taxes due.

Small Business Development Government Center
(650) 599-9767

Center for International Trade Development
(650) 738-4435

Federal Small Business Administration (SBA)
455 Market Street; 6th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
(415) 744-6820

U.S. Customs Information
(415) 782-9210

Department of Industrial Relations
1065 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Suite 110
San Mateo, CA 94404
(650) 573-3812
Information is available on California’s Office of Safety and Health Admini- stration regulations to prevent injuries and unhealthy working conditions.

Employment Development Dept.
550 Quarry Road
San Carlos, CA 94070
(650) 802-5079
Any business with employees must register with this office and withhold state unemployment and income taxes. An application filed with the Board of Equalization may constitute registration.

Department of Consumer Affairs
400 R Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 445-1254 or 1-800-344-9940
The State of California has licensing requirements for more than 100 professions and types of businesses. The California License Handbook is available by writing to the Department of Economic and Business Development, 1120 N. Street, Sacramento, CA 95814.

Federal Government
Corporate Filing Office
1500 Eleventh Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 657-5448
Articles of incorporation must be filed at this office to be on file with the Secretary of State.

Internal Revenue Service
1900 S. Norfolk Street
San Mateo, CA 94403
(800) TAX1040
Any corporation or partnership must fill out a Form SS-4 and secure a federal employer identification number. The Employers Tax Guide stating withholding requirements for employers is available.

Starting a Business in City of Millbrae

Exceptional help is available to individuals interested in starting a business in the City of Millbrae. The City’s Business License Department is also a good source of information regarding types of licenses required for specific types of businesses.

 Finance Department – Business License
621 Magnolia Avenue
Millbrae, CA 94030
(650) 259-2352